Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wearing the Worst Outfits on the BEST Stories


I somehow have a knack for dressing cute on the days we go out on the most interactive stories. Last time, I wore a dress when Joleene and I went Spring skiing. Friday, I wore a skirt and canvas flats when Karen and I went to a farm.

A new report had come out the day before that the National Milk Producers Federation was pushing the FDA to use the word "milk" for dairy products only. This includes milk that comes from animals, but not from soybeans, almonds, or any other plants.

So we talked to a local farmer, Mark Tucker, in Skaneateles, who told us he agreed that the wording should be changed. He felt the drinks that came from plants should be called either "imitation milk" or "juice." Unlike milk from animals, soy milk and almond milk don't have as many nutrients or as much protein, according to Tucker.

However, the owner of Natur-Tyme, a health food store that Karen visited the day before to shoot some interviews, believed the whole thing was nonsense. She said it was over-the-top and a little excessive to change to which products the word "milk" applies. She pointed out that in Webster's Dictionary, the definition of "milk" applies to the juices that come from plants as well.

It was an interesting story and did I mention AWESOME because we went to a farm! I played with cows and kittens and learned a lot of fun facts, like:

1. A baby cow can stand up and walk after only 30 minutes of being born.
2. A baby cow is a calf, but a young cow is a heffer.
3. Farm cats are smaller than normal cats because they're so active.

Friday was my last day interning at YNN. But keep posted for more news, updates, and videos! I will be uploading my last few packages this week, and I will begin working for YNN within the month! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment