Saturday, April 3, 2010

One of the Best I've Ever Had


Let me start by saying yesterday was AWESOME. Now I will continue by saying that yesterday was one of those days during which I thought to myself, "This is why I'm in this business. This is why I love my job." Or future job I should say.

I got to the station, and it was a pretty slow news day because of Good Friday. Not much was going on except Easter preparation...until Joleene noticed "Greek Peak Skiing" written on our idea board. What is that about? Well we went there and found out!

Joleene and I, who were both coincidentally wearing skirts yesterday, headed to Greek Peak Ski Resort in Cortland to do a feature story on spring skiing. Now, on an 80 degree day, we didn't expect to see many skiers, and there weren't but there were enough to find out all about it. Here are some things we learned:
  • Spring skiing is more popular than you would think.
  • It generally lasts until mid-April in the CNY area.
  • The snow is leftover natural and man-made snow from the season. There's less of it, and it's less compact, but it's still skiable.
  • Only the season pass ticket holders and die-hard skiers ski regularly in the spring.
In order to get some good shots, Joleene and I went up in the ski lift...and needed to get ski socks and rent skis to do it. However, I've never actually been skiing before, so for me, this was amazing. Unfortunately, for insurance reasons, we couldn't ride the lift back down the mountain again, so some of the Greek Peak patrolmen drove snowmobiles to the top and drove us back down when we got there.

Amazingly, I didn't fall when I got off the lift! Though wrapping my legs around a patrolman driving me on a snowmobile -- in a skirt -- was a bit interesting.

We finally got back to the station by 2:00, at which point I had a job interview with my boss. I was still able to turn my SOT-based package by 5, and it was a GREAT day.

Here's Joleene's version of the story. PS: I shot her stand-up on the lift!

No comments:

Post a Comment