Thursday, July 1, 2010

We're doin' it live!

I went into work yesterday, thinking "It's my Friday!" (I have Thursdays and Fridays off each week, so Wednesdays are my "Fridays.") I was also thinking how great I had the whole day planned out. I planned to do a feature piece on the late Bob Wagner, who founded and built Wagner Vineyards, one of the first wineries on Seneca Lake. He passed away this past Saturday, and I had plans to talk about him and the legacy he was leaving behind with his son and daughter. I also had a few other stories I was planning to work on.

That all changed when I checked my fax machine upon arriving to the office and immediately got a phone call from my boss. A major 9-injury car accident had happened early Wednesday morning. The passengers were 9 teenagers who were driving home from an underage drinking party.

My profile piece was scrapped and I had 2-and-a-half hours to speak with the County Sheriff, get footage of the car, footage of the scene, and hopefully interviews with the neighbors. Everything moved extremely fast, from the time I arrived at the Sheriff's office -- where I got directions to the scene of the accident -- to the time a live truck was sent to me from Binghamton.

About an hour after I first received that phone call from my boss, I was informed that a live truck would be sent to me. OH MY GOD was really the only thing I could think. I had never gone live before (unless you count one Skype live shot my last semester at school), and all I could do was thank the universe I remembered my IFB (the ear plug that would allow me to communicate with the anchor and people in the control room).

Needless to say, going live was not something I expected to be doing yesterday. After I finished interviewing the Sheriff and got video of the impounded vehicle, I had a good 20 minute drive. Normally, when I'm driving around, I'm blasting Top 40 radio in my company car, but yesterday, the music was turned down low and instead, I compiled a mental list of the most important facts of my story. I talked to myself over and over again as if I were doing the live shot in order to talk it out and come up with the best way to include as much information in as little time as possible.

By the time the live truck operator arrived and set up, I had another 25 minutes to really get everything together. I don't know how I did it, but it happened. I hooked up the IFB and said hello to the anchor and also spoke with a woman in the control room. Normally, our station does "look lives," in which we're not actually live, but the "live" hit is recorded and then airs 2 minutes later. That way, you can still try it again if you mess up. But when the person in the control room told me they were actually taking me LIVE, I knew this was for real. I couldn't mess up, and if I did, I just had to keep on going.

As it turned out, I pretty much aced it! The hit warranted a big "YAY!" from me and even a call from my producer who complimented me. My brother saw me on TV, as did my college roommate's boyfriend. Overall, it was a pretty epic moment for me and an extremely successful day.




**NOTE: The live hit had since been available on my station's site, but has since been updated.

3 comments:

  1. HI MISS! I didn't know you worked for YNN! I worked for NY1 as an intern for two summers and I was there as we were beginning YNN!!! VERY GREAT JOB!!!! And to go live?!?!?! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea you had connections to the station! It seems like you and I did a bit of role reversal. Thanks! Hope everything is going well at Z. Tell everyone I say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara, that's awesome! I'm so happy to hear you did a great job! Going live can be so stressful (esp for me as you read in my blog lol), and I'm proud of you. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete