Thursday, February 11, 2010

News 10 Now Orientation

As promised, here is the first entry of the detailed journal I will be keeping about my reporting internship with News 10 Now.

In an entry dated 1-29-10:
News 10 Now Orientation

I drove to the News 10 Now building not knowing what to expect other than what the inside of the newsroom looked like. All I knew was that I was attending intern orientation, and my news supervisor, Executive Producer Amanda Post, would not be there. She was still on vacation.

Arriving exactly on time, I was taken to the conference room where I had my initial interview. There I met the GM (General Manager) Ron Lombard and Sports Manager Adam Goldstein, along with two other interns. John and Jason were both S.U. grad students, on interning for sports and the other, splitting his time between sports and news. The brief meeting (during which we also got chocolate chip and sugar cookies) was led by Michelle Kovelman, who works in the HR department in Albany.

She led the meeting via phone and power point presentation. After listening to and watching the presentation about News 10 Now and Time Warner Cable's affiliates, drug policy, and harassment rules, I just had to fill out some paperwork.

I was only at the station for about 45 minutes, but it was enough time to learn that (a) the sports guys seem pretty nice, (b) three of the four people I met who are fully employed by the station are S.U. alum, and (c) this internship is going to offer me a lot of opportunity.

I know this entry does not give too much, if any, insight to what was to happen in the reporting internship, but I can assure you that the upcoming days spent at the internship and journal entries therein are far more fulfilling and interesting to any up-and-coming reporter.

Stay tuned! I will try to post again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment