Friday, March 26, 2010

Feeling like a producer

This morning started off interestingly enough. I joined Karen Lee at a Syracuse Police Department press conference, where Sgt. Tom Connellan and Chief Frank Fowler updated the local media on two recent cases.

Update #1: Last night's shooting on Ellis St. on the West Side left one injured and one in critical condition today. Richardo Davis, 21, is on life support at University Hospital after receiving multiple gunshot wounds. The other victim, Tyrone Mulligan Jr., 18, was already treated and released for a single gunshot wound. The shooting was a drive by, and there was possibly a third party with Davis and Mulligan. No suspects or motives have been determined.

Update #2: Asa Holiday, 29, was arrested yesterday and arraigned this morning for sexually assaulting a 69-year-old woman in her home on March 8th. The assailant was invited into the victim's house after he posed as a construction worker in need of food and something to drink. Amazingly, the woman was able to fight off the 6'2" 190 lb. man with her bare hands.

Karen went live outside the Public Safety Building at noon, and we headed back to the station. I spend the rest of the day writing VOSOT versions of the stories we covered and VOSOTs and RDRs for air. I felt like a producer with all the scripts I was writing. It was fine, but it confirmed that producing is something I'm not interested in. I'm all for reporting.

I also was given a writing test by my boss, Steve, for a video journalist/reporter position I applied for. I had 90 minutes to write 5 RDRs/VOSOTs.

I'm looking forward to hearing from him about the stories, and seeing what comes of the job opening. I still have to get my reel to Steve, but told him I could have it in by next week or the week after.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment