Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reporting from Syracuse's Gem


One of the small, but well-known gems in Syracuse is Doc's Little Gem Diner. It's been around for more than 50 years, but this week Doc announced plans to sell the restaurant.

So last night, Kat De Maria (from News 10 Now) and I drove to the diner and interviewed Doc, one of his longtime waitresses, and a few regular customers about the sale and changes going on at the restaurant.

It turned out to be a cute little feature story about the diner, Doc, and their legacies. Doc explained that he hopes someone can come up with the money for the restaurant to continue. Right now, he just can't hold on to the place because of money issues. The bank isn't willing to loan him any more cash to expand the restaurant, a goal of Doc's for some time now.

The diner gets so busy that just a few days ago, Doc had to turn away about 60 people, Doc said. Doc has received one offer so far and is meeting with that person Friday.

It took about 12 tries for me to get my standup just right. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I finally did it, helped Kat shoot hers, picked up some food, and went back to the station. We took our time with this story, so I only had enough time to pull some bites for my story and write the script, but I fully plan on finishing the package Friday when I go back.

Stay tuned!

Until then, happy newsing!

No comments:

Post a Comment